This will be 3-5 pages (1,000-1,500 words) in length. You will be asked to expand on a single topic that you found in Packing for Mars. Choose a topic or question that you either strongly agree with, or disagree with - then, convince me that your perspective is the most correct and reasonable one. Be sure to use solid logic, clear sources, and a strong thesis statement that you back up with evidence. Your final paper should include at least one quote from the book and quotes from at least two other sources. Turn in to your dropbox folder.
Please use APA Style and formatting for this essay. Here's a great resource!
A Persuasive Essay includes:
- Introduction / Hook — interesting first sentence
- Background information — give context to your argument/subject; familiarize the reader with the content
- Definitions — define any terms that the reader might find usual/unfamiliar
- Thesis — a clear, concise statement of your main argument; the overall idea you’ll be arguing. Your thesis will also serve as a roadmap for the rest of your essay, giving the reader a general idea of the path your argument will follow.
- Each Body Paragraph:
- Only one point to support your thesis per paragraph
- Topic sentence, reflects the main idea of the paragraph
- links back to support the thesis
- Evidence — information from a reliable outside source (not your own opinion) that supports the main idea of the paragraph
- Analysis — show how your evidence supports your argument; build your argument
- Tie up the essay — briefly sum up the main point
- Establish significance (see “So What?' handout)
- Bonus: give the reader food for thought Thesis (Main Idea/ argument)
Still need help with building a strong argument? Try this link: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/685/05/